Thrift Shop


The Thrift Shop began operations in 1980 with a small group of church members who saw an opportunity to help the Church with facility needs that were not funded. The number of volunteers has increased since our beginning and now we have about 25 members. The Thrift Shop operates with a Board of Directors elected by Thrift Shop members once a year.

The current board includes:
President: Trigg Lawson
Vice President: Carolyn Palmer
Secretary: Julianne McAchran
Treasurer: Ruth Cook

Donations from Church members and the community are the mainstay that enable the Thrift Shop to function. Donations are received downstairs and stored for weekly sorting, pricing and then onto display in the Thrift Shop, Room 103. Over the past 37 years proceeds have enabled the Thrift Shop to return over 86% of the income to Church projects with the remaining 14% used for establishment of a future endowment. Thrift Shop funding in the last years has averaged $10,000-$14,000 annually providing funds for many needed items such as:

  • new HVAC units for the YMCA child care area
  • new microphones for the Sanctuary
  • new, larger trash dumpster
  • partial funding for the ADA bathroom
  • carpeting on the main floor, Sunday School rooms and office digital sign on University Blvd
  • many more projects over the years

Volunteers serve in two ways: sales staff and weekly workers who sort, price and stock the Shop. Some donations received do not meet Thrift Shop standards and are passed onto other non-profit organizations, so nothing is lost in the donation process.

 

Thrift Shop Hours


Sunday: 12:00 – 1:00pm
Thursday: 12:00 – 3:00pm
Friday: 9:00am – 12:00pm

The Thrift Shop is open to Church members and the general public and operates on the following schedule:

Several times a year the Thrift Shop holds a special sale in the Gathering Area of the Church.